Monday, December 19, 2011

My Elevator Pitch

I was trying hard to come up with a pitch that sort of explains why The (Im)Perfect Manager skill set is a handy one to have in the modern workplace and how it adds value to any team that employs it.

In talking to my friend, who is now also my boss, he suggested I come up with a single PowerPoint slide about it; I upped that, suggesting an elevator pitch.

So, happy holidays and here's my elevator pitch for your perusal:

Companies hire employees based primarily on their skill sets--Development, Test, Finance, Project Management--and their fit within their group and the company. The theory behind this type of hiring is that the secondary skills to do their jobs, like communication and playing well with others, could be taught along the way, as the new employee ramps up to productivity. Have you noticed, however, that's not always the case? That there's one or two people in different groups hard to motivate or get on board with your plans? That sometimes cross-team collaboration could be so much better than it is? Well, that is these techniques can help you: those secondary skills make the world go round, from one improperly translated word that led to the bombing of Hiroshima to the promise and momentum of "Yes We Can."

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Have a lovely holiday, for those who celebrate, and enjoy the quiet in the office for those who don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment